Hello from Jessica MelePosted: March 8, 2012
|Date of conversation||Thursday, March 8, 2012|
|Conversation Participants||Sofia Fojas – SJUSD
Jo Sutton – Castro Valley HS
Leyna Lightman – SF MOMA
Wendi Bushehy – teaching artist
Jessica Mele – Alliance for ALL, Performing Arts Workshop, TAO
|Meeting Topics?||Teaching Artists, Teachers, integrated systems for arts education, public education.|
|Where are we now? Share key takeaways||arts integration is good, but arts need to not be marginalized as it is now.
art carts, not art rooms
|Where should we go, and why? Share key takeaways|
|* collaboration among teaching artists, arts specialists, and classroom teachers at every school.
* deep and clear connections between arts community and school teachers and leaders.
* no more art carts!
* classroom teacher work that is visible to community (arts integration)
* clear communication at every level of education about what resources are available, what good work is happening.
* professionalized teaching artist field (health care, ladder of expertise, training, etc.)
* artists are connected to schools multi-year.
* art is mandated at the elementary level.
* we would have an organized system of arts education (// el systema)
|How Should we get there? Share key takeaways||* Common language and vision for communicating with stakeholders.
* Regional resource, office or staff to coordinate programs and resources in arts education.
* Rally communities to demand quality, equitable arts education for all students.
* Teaching artists – make connections to other models like the freelancer’s union.
* Parents are our target audience.
* Exhibiting student work in community.