Hello from Ann WettrichPosted: March 15, 2012
|Date of conversation||Wednesday, February 22, 2012|
|Conversation Participants||Alliance Teaching & Learning Committee members present:
Julia Marshall, Sabrina Klein, Rica Anderson, Ann Wettrich,
Nancy Ng, Carolyn Carr (and Kim Turner follow up meeting comments)
|Meeting Topics?||Digital Media: What does democratic media mean to you? What digital media do you currently use in your work and how? Ideas for KQED to
support your work.
|Where are we now? Share key takeaways|
|Summary of ways group members are using digital media:
– Power Point (beyond obvious professional presentation use; using with students to present their research and thinking process leading up to the final product or artwork.
– Smart Phones camera and slide show functions. Luna is using to text choreographic prompts to teachers and students who then send back documentation of their resulting work. Good evidence of learning for documentation and evaluation purposes.
– Pencha Chucha Presentations using digital slide technology to present quick exchanges of work.
– Arts/Education/Ideas websites, videos and educational resources Art 21, SPARK, TED Talks, ED Talks
|Where should we go, and why? Share key takeaways||Ideas for KQED to help advance our work. Summary includes:
– Creating a show (radio, tv) on The Art of Education
– SPARK episode on teaching as an artform, following the work of teaching artists.
– Showcasing innovative approaches to teaching and learning thru the arts that contrast with mainstream standardized test scores and achievement oriented dialogue.
– Assert arts primacy throughout history and its important role in education.
|Next Steps?||The group enjoyed this exploratory and informative conversation and decided that we should incorporate one conversation on a topic connected to our work at each meeting. We meet three times a year. For our next meeting in May we’ve decided to have a conversation on collaboration.|