Hello from Carolyn CarrPosted: June 7, 2012
|Date of conversation||Thursday, May 10, 2012|
|Conversation Participants||District Planning Oversight Committee: Molly Barnes- Superintendent for Sunol Glen School District, Steve Hanke – Superintendent for Dublin School District, Cindy Cathy- Superintendent for San Leandro School District, Suzanne McCulloch- Arts Learning Manager Berkeley School District, Phil Rydeen- Arts Learning Manager Oakland School District,
Louise Music- Arts Learning Coordinator ACOE, Unique Holland- Communications Director ACOE, Carolyn Carr- Program Manager Alliance for Arts Learning Leadership
|What is our vision?
• Implementation of Common Core in connection with arts integration to support teacher professional practice for every child’s success
• Successful kids at the center that are deeply engaged, thinking like scientists/mathematicians/historians, expressing themselves artistically, communicating clearly in spoken and written word
• Visual and performing arts will be key elements in ensuring that every student in Alameda County is college and career ready
To ensure that every student in Alameda County participates in visual and performing arts. VAPA as an integration into student learning across the curriculum and as a compliment to understanding artistry.
|Where are we now? Share key takeaways|
|Superintendent Hanke provided an overview for the meeting as Chair of the District Planning Oversight Committee:It is important to approach this work from a systems change approach and model. We cannot afford to being jumping from one project or approach to the next. We need a common conversation about where we are going in public education, strategies for sharing knowledge, working in coordination rather than a scattering of models or networks, and consistency over time.
Unique reported on March 9 Integrated Learning Tour
The work of arts learning demonstration schools using the Studio Habits of Mind to describe what is core in the arts – and common to other content areas, is a strong foundation for common core state standards implementation. Studio Habits are the verbs of the arts – just as ELA and Math common core standards represent the verbs of ELA and Math.
|Where should we go, and why? Share key takeaways|
|Where do we want to go and why?
• Implementation of Common Core State Standards throughout the county to ensure success 21st century for our kids
• Involve partners and work coherently and in coordination
• Create systemic change, not just individual schools or networks
• Sustain the effort across years and implement the necessary cultural change
• Make it simple and build knowledge, get key people involved
• Determine what we need to be loose about and what we need to be tight about – while we need coordination and clarity of direction, there is also a need for autonomy in order to respond to diverse communities and needs
• Deepen the quality of arts instruction and learning
• Deepen the quality of teaching and learning in all content areas
• Develop integration skills that do now water down arts or disciplinary content knowledge, but rather leverage, deepen and apply disciplinary knowledge in new and novel contextsThe role of the District Planning Oversight Committee is to guide the change
|How Should we get there? Share key takeaways|
|How will we get there?
• Roll out a new template
• Create a shared vision
• Name core values and goals for students
• Identify a small number of initiatives
• Set the stage for particular goals with indicators and measures that will show demonstrate progress
• Create a score card to measure what has been put in the plan
• Build the plan collaboratively and measure on a regular basis.Concepts around core values.
o Arts integration is a viable strategy.
o VAPA is essential for student success.
o Promote cc readiness.
o Arts make us whole.
Backwards Planning What Does Education look like in 2016
o Student learning
|District Planning Oversight Committee Special Planning Meeting Wednesday, June 27 at Mills College• Refine vision, mission and goals
• Identify core values
• Identify a few key initiatives
• Flesh out how those would flexibly play out in Dublin, Oakland, Sunol Glen, San Leandro and Berkeley
ACOE will schedule a meeting with District Planning Oversight Committee
The District Planning Oversight Committee will meet with these organizations in late July to create a plan for working in coordination to prepare for performance assessments aligned to common core state standards and deeper instruction on a county-wide scale.
Present to Council of Superintendents August 2012 and prepare a county-wide proposal to CDE.